Friday 5 November 2010

Pumpkin seed butter and date cookies


It's been a gloomy and wet Bonfire Night. Most people's firework displays have been rained off and we heard only a few wet bangs and squeaks outside. I used to love Bonfire Night as a kid but these days I'm more aware of how much it scares people's pets and wakes up people's babies so I didn't mind the rain. 
We've stayed cosy indoors and, in lieu of a bonfire, we had tasty fresh baked cookies to light up our faces. 



I often buy pumpkin seed butter because it's so good for you. I like it on toast with jam or in savoury sandwiches, but sometimes I get bored of eating it before I get to the end of the jar and it doesn't keep that long so I decided to do something new with it and turn it into cookies (and give everyone in the house an Omega 6 boost). 

They worked out soft, crispy and vanillary with the dates adding lovely chewy fruity bits. I'll definitely make them again.

Pumpkin seed butter and date cookies

1 1/4 cups self raising flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup plain soya yoghurt
1/2 cup pumpkin seed butter
1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 tsp vanilla extract 
Handful of dried dates, chopped finely

Mix everything together and shape dough into balls. Flatten out onto greaseproof paper and back at 175c for 10 minutes. Makes 18 largeish cookies. 


2 comments:

  1. Interesting idea. I have not yet dared to try pumpkin seed butter, but you make it sound quite appealing when you put it in cookies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photo. These cookies look so comforting and yummy!

    ReplyDelete